Position: Research Assistant within the Urban Intelligence Unit (UIU)
- Term: 6 months (minimum)
- Type: unpaid
Future Cape Town is a non-profit think tank, passionate about the future of cities. It delivers on its mission through engagement, research and collaboration, creating a space for awareness, debate and action, in the area of urbanism in Cape Town and in cities around the world.
Future Cape Town’s Urban Intelligence Unit (UIU), the research wing of the organisation, is in search of passionate, inspiring interns to assist this team.
We conduct research in various arenas, through an experiential approach, across a vast range of urban and public issues e.g. public space, models of engagement, new media, urban regeneration, economic development and so forth.
Your role as intern would be to support the UIU through:
- Supporting the implementation of studies and research proposals
- Carrying out research via web, libraries, archives and correspondence
- Producing presentation materials, including graphics, charts and PowerPoint slides
- Preparing results reports, fact sheets, briefing documents, etc.
- Mobility and a familiarity with public transport in Cape Town
- Speaking a second language in addition to English, e.g. Afrikaans, Xhosa, would be advantageous
- A passion for urbanism, in one or several areas is essential, but. a related degree is not.
- Solid research skills, organised working style, creative and proactive attitude
- Good oral communication, writing and visual presentation skills
- An interest in what we will be researching (as outlined above) is also necessary — the internship is unpaid at present, so we are looking for people eager to learn in order to further their careers in research and/or any of the topics they will be investigating
Deadline: rolling applications accepted but candidates are encouraged to apply sooner rather than later for a 2013 internship.
To apply: Mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
(Please note that applications not meeting the requirements below will not be considered)
- Include the position in the subject line. e.g. “Marketing intern”
- A letter of motivation for (i) an internship at Future Cape Town and (ii) the specific position. The letter should include both. Generic letters are not considered.
- A brief CV (no more than 2 pages)