09 February 2015
Future Cape Town, a platform for dialogue on Cape Town’s urban future, has been ranked no. 77 on the Future Cities Top 500 list of urban sustainability influencers according to the SustMeme rankings.
- The global Future Cities Top 500 leaderboard was released on Thursday 5 February 2015 and is updated weekly
- Future Cape Town was ranked 77 out of 500 influential future cities platforms and number 1 in Africa
The list is a ranking of the Top 500 influencers and players active on Twitter seeking and sharing sustainable and smart strategies and solutions for resilient, liveable, low-carbon, green, urban environments of the future. According to SustMeme, the basis of the scores measure interactions and influence across all major social-media channels and online, with the metrics provided via leading independent platform Klout.
Says Rashiq Fataar, founder and director of Future Cape Town:
“Being a part of this esteemed list is an honour for the whole organisation, and is a result of the work started 4 years ago to stimulate debate in Cape Town about the future design and development of the city. This list is an indication of the power of social media for private, public and civil society organisations, and challenges us to use social media as a tool for expanding democracy in field of urbanism.”
Leading the Future Cities Top 500 list are Urban Institute a debate platform on social and economic policy, Richard Florida a global researcher at NYU and director of Martin Prosperity Institute, and BMWi, a concept for sustainable mobility. They are followed by Neelie Kroes and Metropolis Magazine. Other institutions on the list include the MIT research group, Senseable City Lab (58), MIT Department of Urban Studies and Planning (57), Masdar City (24) , LSE Cities (62) and McKinsey Global Institute
In 2014 Future Cape Town was also listed as one of the best city blogs around the world according to The Guardian.
For more information contact Kelsey Blignaut at the Press Office at +27 84 651 7820 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes to editors:
- Our Future Cities NPO is a registered independent non-profit organisation working to expanded democracy around the future of cities. Read more here
- Future Cape Town is the founding movement of Our Future Cities NPO, which also houses Future Johannesburg, Future Lagos and Future London.
- Follow our social media platforms: Twitter here, Facebook here, and Instagram here.
- Future Cities Top 500 is curated and managed by Jim McClelland and the data is published by McClelland Media Ltd. Find the full list here