CAPE TOWN, 20 OCTOBER 2015
Rashiq Fataar, founder and director of Future Cape Town and Our Future Cities will present a talk at the 6th edition of the Municipal Arts Society (MAS) Summit in New York City.
- Last year, more than 1200 attendees, 138 speakers, 61 dynamic talks, an online audience of more than 800 000, and representatives from across the globe joined the discussion about the future of cities.
- The sixth edition of the MAS Summit for New York entitled The City We Want! will be held at the TimesCenter, on Thursday, October 22 and Friday, October 23.
- The lecture by Rashiq Fataar is entitled A vision for a democratic city: Learning to ask for the future Cape Town we want.
The MAS Summit for New York City is held every year in order to open the discussion about the future of cities to a broader audience. For over 100 years, MAS has existed to “fight for intelligent urban design, planning and preservation through education, dialogue and advocacy”.
For this sixth edition of the summit, the programme comprises more than 50 expert sessions, revolving around topics like urban innovation, resilience, infrastructure, and the future of cities.
Rashiq Fataar was invited to join 150 other speakers at the Summit to enlighten the attending community and business leaders on the future of the Mother City and Future Cape Town’s role within it.
Says Fataar: “It is an honour to be able to share almost 5 years of our research, experience and consulting work with practitioners and leaders from around the world. An organisation like MAS has inspired us to continue to find new models and ways for expanding democracy in our city’s urban development. While we are twenty years into democracy, the goal of making just cities and convincing residents of their civic rights remains to be achieved, but we are on the right track.”
Along with Fataar, other esteemed speakers include Santiago Calatrava (Architect, Engineer, and Artist), Jane Katz (Habitat for Humanity International, Director of International Affairs and Programs), Parks Commissioner Mitchell Silver, Daniel L. Doctoroff of Sidewalk Labs, and Jeremiah Moss of #SaveNYC.
Watch the livestream of his presentation on Friday, 23 October, 21:15 GMT +2 at the Summit website: http://www.summit.mas.org/
For more information contact Media and Communications Officer Christine Dalle-Vedove at +27 79 117 2740 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes to editors:
- Our Future Cities NPO is a registered independent non-profit organisation working to expanded democracy around the future of cities. Read more here. Future Cape Town is the founding movement of Our Future Cities NPO, which also houses Future Johannesburg and Future Lagos.
- Follow our social media platforms: Twitter here, Facebook here, and Instagram here.
- MAS Summit for New York City 2015 website can be found here. Be sure to catch all the speakers live using this link and follow the conversation on Twitter with those hashtags and mentions: #summitNYC, @MASNYC, @rashiqfataar, @futurecapetown
- The MAS website can be found here.