Mobility: The other side of BRT in Bogota

More than a decade after its inception, Bogotá’s pioneering TransMilenio BRT system carries 1.6 million passengers every weekday. Its many successes, such as reducing pollution, improving safety and reducing travel time for Bogotanos, may be familiar to regular readers of TheCityFix.  However, TransMilenio has not been a complete solution for public transportation in Bogotá. Only 26 percent of  transit trips in the city are made on TransMilenio.  The other 74 percent of transit trips are made on what is known locally as Collective Public Transport, a chaotic network of buses operated by thousands of individual owner-operators organized into 66 different private companies.

Read more